Monday, March 1, 2010

Wickedly Awesome!


On Friday, I was able to attend the stage show Wicked in San Francisco.

OH! MY! GAWD! Sooo Good!

I received the tickets as part of a promotion from the SV Moms holiday party. At the time I tweeted about it, and my BFF in LA texted me to "please, please, please take her". So, of course, I promised I would. We created all kinds of PITA for the agency who were setting up our tickets. I fully expected nose-bleed seats off in the corner. Not at all! We could not have had better seats. Seriously. Right in the center of the theater, about 10 rows back. (I highly recommend them.)

I expected the show itself to be good, and I wasn't disappointed. I have to admit, especially with my back, I sometimes have trouble sitting through a show. It's not that I'm not enjoying it. It's just that after a period my body starts to let me know it needs to get up and move around a bit. This show as so good that I wasn't aware of my discomfort until intermission hit. (It's ok, I brought meds and was good for the 2nd half as well.) For the purists, I too had read the book. I usually find movies and stage shows don't measure up to the nuances a book can provide. I knew they'd made some changes to the show, it's hard to cover all the territory and nuances writing can provide. Honestly, I enjoyed this more than the book. The book was well written, and I enjoyed it. But it focused more on the tragic side of Ephiba's life. The stage show was able to touch on that, but also found humor (sometimes dark) in it. The stage show had fun with the story. The energy from the cast made it seem that they were enjoying themselves as well. Obviously, I'm not a critic, so you can take my review with a grain of salt, but it was an amazing evening. I'm seriously considering going again, and taking my 6yo to see it.

Wicked is currently playing at the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco through at least December 2010.

0 comments:

Post a Comment